Saturday, January 9, 2010

Let them eat cake

This post over at NaturalNews.com deftly sums up my feelings on the healthcare reform bill currently wending its way through the greedy hands of Congress.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s asked how forcing people to pay for health insurance will solve the problem of UNAFFORDABLE health care. Since health care these days is equivalent to health insurance, the government is essentially saying that peasants who have no bread should eat cake.

I highly doubt that our President is the reincarnation of Marie Antoinette [who likely never uttered the famous quote anyway], but whoever came up with the idea to force the American people to pay for something they already can’t afford is certainly not on our side. Should we be concerned that members of our own government are so far removed from the lives of the average person that they cannot comprehend how this ‘mandatory’ insurance will affect us?

I could write volumes on my opinions about the health insurance industry, most of it fueled by frustration at the rampant stupidity with which the insurance companies are run. I won’t go there. Today anyway.

In the mean time I would just like to wonder, when push comes to shove, can we fight laws that are clearly detrimental to the health and wellness of the entire nation? Or is it too late for us to banish the monster we have summoned?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that the healthcare reform bill will fix all ills, but I do think it's better than just ignoring the problem and hoping it goes away as things get worse and worse.

    Then again, I recognize that our insurance is not subsidized by an employer so my view is biased because I'm desperate for some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree something needs to be done, but solutions that have been proposed don't seem like they're really going to help the people in the middle who need it the most. The rich will always find a way to get by, the poor will always be given help, but the middle class are the ones who pay for both ends of the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete