Friday, January 8, 2010

Wii are hooked

I have to say I’m a little bit in love with Wii Fit Plus. My son used his Christmas money to pick this up the other day, and he and my daughter and I have been using it on a daily basis. I have no idea exactly how much exercise one can really get while jogging in place in front of the TV screen, or by navigating a virtual obstacle course or how much zen you can achieve by meditating in front of a virtual candle, but I will say it’s a lot of fun.

Yesterday, as I struggled up the basement stairs with yet another load of laundry [when can they make the washing of clothes into virtual fun, I wonder?] I stumbled upon a sight I never thought I’d see. My kids [daughter 15 and son 12] practicing yoga poses.

This is a major achievement since they can usually be found exercising only their thumbs by either playing video games or clicking the mouse buttons. I know, I know. Today’s video game junkies are tomorrow’s CICU patients. I’m well aware – so the quest to get them off the couch is one that plagues me.

If a video game can get my son running around the house and my daughter dancing and creating her own personalized workout routines, I’m all for it. Let’s face it, we are not a physical society anymore. I’m the first person to advocate the evolution of the human race into beings of pure energy, but in the mean time, we’ve got to find a way to break out of our couch potato shells and get moving.

If you need me, my Mii and I will be going for a run.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you've found something that works for you. I've heard Boxing is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter likes rhythm Kung Fu. We haven't tried boxing yet. I tried the step class and I'm two left feet. I need to stay away from things that require rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got this for Christmas too, and I've been doing the yoga. Sean likes the golf. He and Robby play with it more than I do, but yeah, it seems to be a pretty neat invention.

    ReplyDelete