Thursday, February 4, 2010

Like sugar for turkey

I’ve been reading up on the effects of sugar on mood...the health negatives of sugar aside, I’ve always subscribed to the belief that a dose of sugar is a quick pick-me-up.

Of course, like many things I’ve believed for years, it turns out I’m wrong. Sugar actually has a calming effect, and according to this article from CBS News, can also work to dull pain. In fact, carbs in general, are supposed to induce a sense of calm by increasing serotonin in the brain.

No wonder I’m such an easy-going person. I’m a carbaholic. This explains why I’m not energetic too. Those sugary energy boosts I look forward to – the hit of dark chocolate, the illicit shot of orange juice late in the day, are not working to pep me up, but slow me down.

Turns out protein is a better source of quick energy. Turkey or a hard boiled egg will give you a better boost than a Snickers bar, so don’t believe the commercials that tell us chocolate, peanuts and caramel will give us mid-afternoon supercharge, but the next time you’re freaking out grab some carbs to mellow out.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, but turkey just doesn't taste as good as a Snickers.

    Did you happen to read where cheese falls? (I'm a cheesaholic)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to research cheese. I think it's more of a protein...there's nothing like a good 'ole cheese and cracker fest in my humble opinion. It also may depend on the type of cheese - softer ones are less healthy sadly enough.

    ReplyDelete