Monday, February 1, 2010

Nuke it or not?

I’m still reading Food-Your Miracle Medicine by Jean Carper and I’m currently in a section of the book that discusses cancer-fighting foods. The general consensus is fruits [especially citrus] and vegetables contain plenty of cancer-fighting natural compounds. Meats, not so much – and I knew that, but what I found interesting was a bit about how certain ways to cook meats can increase the carcinogenic chemicals they contain.

In addition to poaching, stewing and boiling, according to the National Cancer Institute, believe it or not, MICROWAVING is listed as being one of the better ways to cook meat as opposed to grilling, broiling or of course frying.

As a rule, I don’t use my microwave to cook anything. I melt things in the microwave…butter, chocolate…and I reheat already cooked foods, but I don’t actually prepare any first-run meals in the little radiation box. It’s not so much fear of any health dangers, but just the ick factor. I think fire cooks foods better. Microwaves tend to leave food looking pale and soggy and I’ve found things stay hot for just about as long as you heat them – put something in for two minutes, it stays hot for two minutes. That’s it. I have a temperature thing when it comes to food. I only eat things that are at the optimum temperature. Once they cool down too far or warm up too much, that’s it. No good.

Anyway, I found it mind-boggling that the National Cancer Institute would advocate using a microwave for anything. Especially in light of articles like these available on the web:

The Dangers of Microwaving Your Food

Microwave Cooking is Killing People

The Dangers of Microwave Food

How do you feel about microwaved food? Do you cook in the microwave or just reheat foods? If you thought it would be better for your health, would you cook more food in the microwave, especially meat?

I have to be honest, I don’t buy the microwaving is better for you line. It just doesn’t seem logical. I’ll stick to eating fruits and vegetables to help prevent cancer and consider a microwave free kitchen in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I don't cook much in the microwave except for the occassional potato when I'm in a rush and oatmeal.

    On the flip side, I don't grill or fry either.

    Baking and broiling are my friends.

    ReplyDelete